Have you wondered what it is like to experience the Galapagos islands on a land tour? How will you get around? What will you see? And most importantly (for epicures, foodies, and picky eaters) what will you eat? If you are [...]
Ever wanted to venture off the beaten path? How about way, way off the beaten path? Feeling adventurous one afternoon in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, I went to the municipal fruit and vegetable market, or mercado municipal. At this market, vendors sell piles of fruit, [...]
Tintoreras Bay In the Galapagos, you can never predict what animals you will see. The first time I visited Tintoreras Bay on Isabela Island in September, I saw piles upon piles of marine iguanas resting against a rugged landscape of lava [...]
A member of Projects Abroad staff meets all volunteers at San Cristobal Island airport. The airport is very close to the town of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno and about 5 minutes’ drive away from our local office.
Climate scientists are beginning to see evidence of an El Niño condition developing in the Pacific Ocean later this year and some warn it could be a whopper, similar to the 1997-'98 El Niño event that disrupted plant and animal life in the Galápagos Islands and altered weather patterns around the world. TO READ MORE, CLICK ON THE HEADLINE.
In 2014, the birds will be collecting donations for Galapagos Conservancy (hooray!), Idea Wild, Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, and The Black Hills Raptor Center. One of the earliest supporters of the Charles Darwin ...
El Nino will be in the forefront of the news cycle during the next month as it continues to strengthen across the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Its impact is already being felt with drier than normal weather across parts of Brazi
Dancers and enormous skirts On a Saturday night, a tortoise rocks back and forth to the beat, the blue-footed booby in perfect unison, and a sea lion not far behind. Whirling around then parading proudly in a circle, coming together, then [...]
Being on an organized tour was great. The food was taken care of and deliciously prepared. I knew exactly what the days itinerary was, what to wear, and how long it would be until we got back to the hostel. But [...]
It was another beautiful day in the Galapagos. We wandered lazily about Tintoreras bay in Isabela island in a small panga boat. The water was warm and crystalline turquoise, surrounded by lava rocks and red mangroves growing wild along the coast. [...]
Sometimes you might be 10 feet away from something awesome and not even realize it. This happened to me recently in the Galapagos. I had walked to and from my hotel (Red Mangrove Aventura Lodge in Puerto Ayora) a dozen times. [...]
The Guardian The Galápagos: A Natural History review The Guardian As editor of the Galápagos Conservation Trust's magazine and the author of Lonesome George, a book about the last surviving member of a species of giant tortoise that once inhabited...
Galápagos recorded a 13% jump in tourism in 2013, a total of 204,295 visitors, according to figures just released by the Environment Ministry of Ecuador and the Galápagos National Park.
65% of the visitors were from foreign countries while Ecuadorians accounted for the remaining 35%. Americans made up the largest group of foreign visitors, 50,393 of them, accounting for 25% of total tourists. Other countries with substantial numbers of Galápagos tourists included the United Kingdom at 10%, Germany and Canada at 4% apiece. TO READ MORE, CLICK ON THE HEADLINE ABOVE.