So what are the keys to winning in this new era of empowered, engaged and networked consumers? Here are some of the top "expression" lessons we've learned so far:
- Accept that consumers can generate more messages than you ever could.
- Develop content that is "Liquid and Linked."
- Accept that you don't own your brands; your consumers do
- Build a process that shares successes and failures quickly throughout your company
- Speak up to set the record straight, but give your fans a chance to do so first
Don't fight this wave of expression. Feed it with content that touches consumers' passion points like sports, music and popular culture. We estimate on YouTube there are about 146 million views of content related to Coca-Cola. However, only 26 million views were of content that we created. The other 120 million views were of content created by others. We can't match the volume of our consumers' creative output, but we can spark it with the right type of content.