Tribeca Film Institute’s Director of Digital Initiatives leads an insightful video tour of the inaugural TFI Interactive, a one-day event that brought together leading practitioners from the fields of media, entertainment, education and technology to share their insights.
We were thinking about how our work with the Fund fits into the wider digital media ecosystem, and about what we can learn from people who are thinking hard about some of the same problems we are thinking about: how to bring filmmakers and technologists together to create new kinds of work; how to capture the attention of audiences in a highly media-saturated environment and truly engage them; how to innovate while still making sure that the story leads; and how to bring craft and skill to interactive storytelling, building new kinds of experiences that are rich and not gimmicky.
The speakers and highlights of the day are listed along with links to the videos of the sessions:
- keynote about how to engage people with humor and clever strategy
- interactive journalism
- how we can control our media diet in order to make sure that we are not consuming media that is bad for us
- highlights of the the visceral, multi-sensory interactive marketing campaign done for the first season of the hit HBO series Game of Thrones
- the National Film Board of Canada has pioneered the support and development of web-native storytelling and talks about moving between the web and specific spaces, thereby creating a variety of interactions and unique experiences
- designing for physical spaces and Local Projects work with the 9/11 Memorial Museum - how audiences are expecting to play more of an active role in story worlds
- the importance of design and design thinking
- making sure that the next generation have the digital tools they need to make their voices heard in a crowded media landscape
- the relationship between narrative, games and impact
- successes and pitfalls of developing an interactive production on a modest budget
- challenges and opportunities to be found in funding interactive work