Pollution is the introduction of a contaminant into a natural environment, usually by humans.The article gives some idea as to what types of pollution are out there, plus some startling facts...for example:
- Americans generate 30 billion foam cups, 220 million tires, and 1.8 billion disposable diapers every year.
- Forty percent of America’s rivers and 46 percent of America’s lakes are too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life.
- According to the World Health Organization, an estimated 6,400 people die every year in Mexico City and more than 1 million suffer from permanent breathing problems because of air pollution.
- The Mississippi River drains the lands of nearly 40 percent of the continental United Sates. It also carries an estimated 1.5 million metric tons of nitrogen pollution into the Gulf of Mexico each year, resulting in a dead zone each summer about the size of New Jersey.
- Pollution in China can change weather patterns in the United States. It takes just five days for the jet stream to carry heavy air pollution from China to the United States, where it stops clouds from producing rain and snow.
Via Colin Zylka