One of the most important skills students need to learn for successful Problem Based Learning is asking and answering questions.
Your new post is loading...
Cultures of Thinking and Ron Ritchhart
Questioning is a vital part of thinking, teaching and learning. We need to consider the purpose of every activity our students engage in while always looking to build higher level questioning into the daily routine.
Generative: Exploring the topic
• Authentic questions or wonders that teacher doesn’t know the answer to.
• Essential questions that initiate exploration of a topic
Constructive: Building New Understanding
• Extending & Interpreting
• Connecting & Linking
• Orienting and focusing on big ideas, central concepts, or purpose
Facilitative: Promotes the learner’s own thinking & understanding
• Requesting elaboration, reasons, evidence, justification
• Generating discussion among the class to hear different perspectives
• Clarifying and Uncovering
Harvard's Ron Ritchhart's planning frame for careful lesson design. Includes the learning goal at the top , along with:
Understanding Goals, Understanding Performances, Learning Challenges, OnGoing Formative Assessment and Summative Assessment at the end. Lovely guide for effective lesson design.