|Scooped by Egypt-actus|
Archaeologists and restoration specialists from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) have added their expertise to the conservation of Theban Tomb 39, in Luxor, Egypt, helping to return fragments of reliefs to their correct location to aid further understanding of a funerary complex that functioned as a place of pilgrimage for over three thousand years.
The Mexican mission led by Egyptologist Gabriela Arrache involved specialists from the Mexican Society of Egyptology, University of the Valley of Mexico and the INAH, who began their collaboration in the winter of 2012 at the Valley of the Nobles, where the mortuary monument is located for Pui-Em-Ra, the second priest of the god Amon-Ra.
This funerary complex, dating from the middle of the Eighteenth Dynasty (1466-1412 BCE ) measures approximately 18 by 18 metres in plan and is exceptional because its three chambers were excavated deep into the limestone rock and connected by a corridor.
Several seasons of fieldwork were required to remove thousands of tons of rubble from the area around the buried monument, and included the relocation of some houses that had been built over the tomb.
The archaeologists realised that what had previously been thought of as a courtyard to the tomb was an esplanade projecting from the front to the road that leads to the Temple of Hatshepsut; the largest monument at Deir el Bahari. This esplanade becomes part of an area of pilgrimage which served for civil and religious ceremonies for 3,400 years. (PastHorizons)