Cultures of Thinking and Ron Ritchhart
Questioning is a vital part of thinking, teaching and learning. We need to consider the purpose of every activity our students engage in while always looking to build higher level questioning into the daily routine.
Generative: Exploring the topic
• Authentic questions or wonders that teacher doesn’t know the answer to.
• Essential questions that initiate exploration of a topic
Constructive: Building New Understanding
• Extending & Interpreting
• Connecting & Linking
• Orienting and focusing on big ideas, central concepts, or purpose
Facilitative: Promotes the learner’s own thinking & understanding
• Requesting elaboration, reasons, evidence, justification
• Generating discussion among the class to hear different perspectives
• Clarifying and Uncovering
Via Mary Perfitt-Nelson