8 reasons you should be worried about the UN's latest climate report.
The impacts of climate change are likely to be "severe, pervasive, and irreversible," the chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said Sunday night in Yokohama, Japan, as the world's leading climate experts released a new survey of how our planet is likely to change in the near future, and what we can do about it.
Here's what you need to know:
1. We're already feeling the impacts of climate change.
2. Heat waves and wildfires are major threats in North America.
3. Globally, food sources will become unpredictable, even as population booms.
4. Coastal communities will increasingly get hammered by flooding and erosion.
5. We'll see an increase in climate refugees and, possibly, climate-related violence.
6. Climate change is expected to make people less healthy.
7. We don't know how much adaptation is going to cost.
8. There's still time to reduce the impacts of global warming...if we cut our emissions.