My name is George Couros, and I am currently a Division Principal of Innovative Teaching and Learning with Parkland School Division, located in Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada. The schools are from ages K-12, and I love working with kids of all ages.
I am passionate about distributed leadership within my division, and believe that creating a collaborative environment with all stakeholders, will help to ensure that we meet the best needs of all children.
The term “master teacher” seems to get thrown around a lot, but is something that many educators aspire to be. In my ten years in the field of education, I would say that the definition of “master teacher” has definitely changed. When I think of a master teacher, here are the qualities that I would suggest they have:
1. Connects with kids first
2. Teaches kids first and curriculum second
3. Ensures that they draw relevance to curriculum
4. Works with students to develop a love of learning
5. Embodies lifelong learning
6. Focuses on learning goals as opposed to performance goals
7. Ensures that “character education” is an essential part of learning
8. Passionate about the content they teach
9. A master teacher is a “school teacher” -
10. Strong communication skills
Read more for details:
Via Gust MEES