Crowdfunding is being talked about a lot as the hot new way to finance creative projects such as films, books, games, technology, working on the principle that a large number of individuals will come together to support and fund projects that they really care about.
- Kickstarter has launched in the UK
- Crowdfunding offers alternative to funding cuts in arts organisations
- Kickstarter in the US has had over 32000 successful projects raise a total of nearly $350m, making it one of the country's biggest arts funders
- It is a huge undertaking to run a crowdfunding campaign - a massive amount of effort, writing hundreds of personal emails, requiring arts organisation fundraisers to be imaginative business entrepreneurs rather than artistic cultural fundraisers.
- Since Kickstarter's launch in 2009, some 2236 documentary projects have raised $38 million through an average of 222 pledges
- Successful crowdfunding documentaries include AI Wei Wei - Never Sorry by Allison Klayman and My Reincarnation by Jennifer Fox