What is a digital citizen?
Drawing from the Key Competencies and Values in the NZ Curriculum and a growing body of research knowledge, NetSafe, in consultation with New Zealand teachers has produced this definition of a New Zealand digital citizen.
A digital citizen:
* Is a confident and capable user of ICT
* Uses technologies to participate in educational, cultural, and economic activities
* Uses and develops critical thinking skills in cyberspaceis literate in the language, symbols, and texts of digital technologies
* Is aware of ICT challenges and can manage them effectively
* Uses ICT to relate to others in positive, meaningful ways
* Demonstrates honesty and integrity and ethical behaviour in their use of ICT
* Respects the concepts of privacy and freedom of speech in a digital world
* Contributes and actively promotes the values of digital citizenship
This is a 'bit' from NetSafe's myLGP website. It's part of a collection of resources that help educators to teach effective digital citizenship. Take a look.