6 Trends by Fast Company:
1. Mobile social media usage continues to soar
Mobile Internet users are set to overtake wired Internet users by 2015
2. Social advertising grows and evolves
Traditional banner and interruption ads will decline, replaced by innovative offerings like Promoted Tweets and Sponsored Stories.
3. International and niche social networks experience dramatic growth
Anticipate increased demand in 2013 for social media management systems that streamline monitoring and posting across multiple networks.
4. Social media moves beyond the marketing department
Increasingly CIOs, CEOs, and CMOs who have seen the business value of social media are taking the reins.
5. Big data grows but gets more manageable
Social data is already being harnessed by Nestle to boost customer sentiment, GE to speed up repairs to the electrical grid, and Wall Street to forecast stock prices.
6. Social media education gets formalized
Companies will begin to double down on social media education for their existing employees as the entire workforce gains an added level of social sophistication