October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM 2012)
So what can you do? The idea of NCSAM is to help get the word out and to protect yourself.
It more important than ever to safely manage your passwords. Password theft has increased by 300% so far in 2012, and that trend will continue to grow. So how can you manage those passwords safely?
With social media, email, shopping, banking and dating, a lot of your life is online and on your phone. Each one of these applications uses a password to protect your sensitive data, but how do you keep them all straight?
Here are some tips from DHS.gov to share with friends, family and your social networks:
1. Set strong passwords and don’t share them with anyone.
2. Keep your operating system, browser, and other critical software optimized by installing updates.
3. Maintain an open dialogue with your family, friends, and community about Internet safety.
4. Limit the personal information you post online and use privacy settings to avoid sharing info widely.
5. Be cautious about what you receive or read online – if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.