The key problem would-be crowdsourcers face: lack of methodology. Without a sure-fire recipe for success, initiatives run the risk of becoming a waste of time or a stale marketing program.
1. Identify a great challenge that lots of important people care about.
2. Define the Boundaries
3. Come up with a specific and bold stretch target.
4. Create a competitive environment.
5. Force the use of teams.
6. Keep the barriers to entry low.
7. Provide a tool-kit.
8. Form a network of mentors, coaches, judges, and enablers.
9. Define the metric of what constitutes good.
10. Offer more than just a prize.
Via Laurence Bakayoko