New Sustainable Development Goals 2015, replaces the UN Millenium Development Goals.
WBGU recommends integrating six targets to protect the climate, the soils and biological diversity:
• limit global warming to 2°C – to avoid irreversible climatic consequences.
• limit ocean acidification to 0.2 pH units – to keep the marine environment intact.
• stop the loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services – to protect the natural life-support systems.
• stop land and soil degradation – in order not to jeopardize global food production.
• limit the risks posed by long-lived and harmful anthropogenic substances (such as mercury and plastic waste) – since the related negative effects are difficult to reverse.
• stop the loss of phosphorus – since this element is the limiting factor in agriculture.