Fascinating to try to live blog an interview. It is impossible by the way at least for me. I had to stop typing while answering Scotty Mason; Raleigh CBS affiliate WRAL's Tar Heel Traveler's questions.
Scotty is a masterful visual storyteller and I picked up a few tips on this our third session together (Scotty shot a segment about Martin's Ride To Cure Cancer and helped create Cure Cancer Starter's mission video).
Video Storytelling Tips
* Don't have questions written down.
* But be prepared and know your subject.
* Be open to accident and unplanned ideas.
* Create in the moment on what inspires you.
* Ask great open-ended questions.
* If you don't hear what you want ask the same question again later.
* Shoot lots of related b-roll.
* Write a script AFTER filming.
* Tell a story.
Scotty's stories are always parabels. When he told Martin's Ride To Cure Cancer's story (http://scenttrail.blogspot.com/2013/01/tar-heel-traveler-art-of-visual.html) he stressed the winding road of one's life stesses not to take anything for granted.
Interesting to see how Scotty tells today's story.