Once upon a time, making money on the web was as simple as putting up a red-headline-yellow-highlighter sales page, and buying clicks on Google.
This post is a tad disingenuous. It starts discussing conversions being lousy like that is new data. Conversions are lousy, but the future will convert better. I do like the main ideas especially for B2B sales:
* Opt visitors in to your list.
* Drip them with relevant emails.
* Then present the close or sale page.
Come to think of it I like this approach for B2C too. I'm not sure I buy all the "people distrust websites" stuff. Feels like they are trying too hard to sell me something. People trust 5 websites. If yours is one of those 5 you are good to go. If not THEN you need to earn trust.
Tricky part is the 5 sites your customers trust may or may not be YOURS. Here are my favorite tactics to increase trust fast:
* Give something of value away.
* Design the site like a pro.
* Include tagged and specific testimonials.
* Include ways visitors can find out about you that are not controlled by you (curate information about you from the web into your site and be clear on its origin).
* Organizations and trust marks.
* Easy to access and find contact information (a freebie that many blow).
* Friendly and engaging ABOUT and TERMS copy.
* Pictures of PEOPLE who work there (very important).
* Pictures of events at the company (also very important).
This piece is a tad on the used car salesman side for KissMetrics, but the central idea is valid. Combine the lower ask, moving visitors from strangers to being in your list, make sure they move to a relevant drip email campaign, increase trust with a few of the tactics outlined above, and present the ask when it feels right and you will double conversions.
The future converts better because we are going to WILL it to do so (lol). M
PS - One thought I had on rereading this. Always include testimonails with a link to a testimonial landing page with a large call to action requesting feedback. Few will use that link, but its value in increasing your site's credibility can't be overstated. Your requesting feedback so LARGE and IN CHARGE makes the feedback you carry more TRUE.