- the new email search function in iOS 7: type a word and all the emails including that particular word will appear, in decreasing order of importance (ie first the emails that have this word in the recipient / sender, then in subject, then in the body of the email). This in and of itself is a good solace for the rest of iOS 7 which has so many shortcomings and bugs. And for the next must-have improvement: a Blackberry-type categorisation of contacts (the iPhone one drives me absolutely crazy…)
- Mary Goodnight: in lieu of Tse, the now deceased awful Thai canteen opposite the Murat, porte d'Auteuil in Paris, Thiou, of Thiou-and-tigre-qui-pleure-et-qui-nourrit-tous-les-politiques-de-la-place fame, has dropped her suitcases. And this is a revolution. Delicious and original salmon carpaccio, excellent thai beef salad with noodles, good (but still perfectible) crying tiger (…), over friendly staff, and a very spacious terrace, this is a lot better, and completely of the right caliber to steal customers away from le Murat opposite, the quality of which has gone downhill over the years
- l'excellentissime interview de Fabrice Lucchini au Figaro Magazine - tellement drole et finalement assez en ligne avec ce que beaucoup n'osent pas dire
- Nano, the new canteen in Montorgueil designed by Ora-Ito (14 rue Bachaumont, Paris 2e, pictured). Simple principle: you pick as many small verrines as you like, savoury or sweet, warm or cold, they range from salmon tartare to scallop risotto, from quinoa tabouleh to duck parmentier. Plus delicious soups and sandwiches
Je n'ai pas aimé:
- the lack of updates of the Luxe City Guides - once the best dinner or birthday present one could make, they have turned into a bit of a disappointment owing to lack of updates (and the very in the know feature of the advice was precisely their main attraction) and lack of new cities being available. Schade!
- the closure of Gare du Nord's Grand Voyageur lounge in the week ends - what? Why cannot one be a Grand Voyageur on Saturdays?
- Canal +, altogether. I have been a subscriber since the first day of the channel. 5 times over the last 4 weeks, I have reactivated my rights (which already prompts the question, why did I need to do this?). 5 times, I failed to receive the encrypted TV channel. Tired and annoyed by the time wasted, I decide to send my cancellation letter: no problem sir, you will be disconnected in October 2014. What are the consumers' right associations doing??
Je n'ai pas tranché sur:
- the St James hotel in Trouville sur Mer, Calvados - very charming little hotel, a stone's throw away from the beach. Most of the 10 bedrooms nicely refurbished, very Laura Ashley style; ueber-helpful man of the house Christian, advising on nice nearby restaurants but also cooking excellent breakfast. All in all very charming, if you are in the suite (room 9) or one of the largest bedrooms (1, 4, 5 or 8). Not in one of the simple rooms. Could do with a mini-bar in the rooms, and a larger drawing room, but all in all a very pleasant alternative to soul-less Barriere colony, and very affordable (www.hotel-saint-james.fr)
Je veux essayer:
- Hotel Montaigne, the relatively new hotel opened right next to Bar des Theatres, avenue Montaigne, in Paris. Whether for a shopping week end, or for a drink before or after the great Theatre des Champs-Elysees, this hotel, decorated by Pierre-Yves Rochon, may provide the right place to chill. Will try it soon (www.montaigne-hotel.com)