Sooner or later, you’re going to be asked to lead an innovation team. This will be your time to shine, if you’re up to the challenge. The distinguishing aspect of leading a special purpose team is that you’re not in control, you can only influence behavior. You’re tasked with figuring out how to do something new, so you and your mates are going on a learning journey. So what you do in the formative stages will greatly impact the team’s chances of success. Follow these eight suggestions to guide your success:
1. Keep team size small, even for big projects.
2. Recruit your own team members.
3. Pay attention to group chemistry and emotions.
4. Calculate people’s Teamwork Factor.
5. Don’t go overboard with diversity.
6. Establish a group process.
7. Pay attention to what is going on outside the team.
8. Pay attention to the 3Rs of innovation: Result, Reputation, and Residuals.