In order to build for the new world of mobile reading, media companies, software developers, advertisers and even users have to think about context differently.
Context is no longer “simply” the background to a story or the stories or advertising immediately flanking it. Context is now a multivariable function, dependent on:
- Medium, the form faktor of the device
- Location, where the device is being used
- Time, both time of day and duration of attention
- Social, both as a filter and a megaphone
- Identity, the users self-presentation and choice
All of these constitute personalization and redefine context. You can slice them up into monetizable data, or blend them into an experiential gestalt.
Via The New Company