In middle school, we ask students to dissect texts and perform literary analysis. However, that does not mean that we have to limit how we assess their understanding of the books. If the desired learning objective is for students to . .
- Demonstrate understanding of the plot elements
- Explore the role of tone and theme
- Identify significant scenes or events and their impact on the story
- Analyze a character and show an understanding of that character's motivations
- Explain the relationship between the author's life and the story
. . . does it have to be an essay or book report?