So far, 45 states and the District of Columbia have adopted both sets of standards, and Minnesota has adopted only the language arts standards. The first assessments tied to the common core are due to come online in the 2014-15 school year.
So far, the tally this year is:
- 100 bills related to the common core, introduced in 36 states
- Out of those 100, 39 have been enacted into law.
- 11 bills deal with the new assessments tied to the common core
- 10 bills address instructional materials for the new standards
- The biggest concerns for legislators in terms of the standards at this time are assessments and professional development.