It is now time for tourism marketing executives to shift tactical executions to focus more on building and creating content that is owned and to view social media as a means of distribution rather than an online marketing tactic in its own right. Strategies centred around creating a strong online presence for hotels are required.
- Content: At the centre of your owned media strategy is content - content should be informative, interesting and compelling.
- Variety: There should be a variety of content in your owned media strategy.
- Websites: Too much focus has been on factual and functional brand values rather than emotive brand benefits.
- Blogs: Blogs with personal stories that talk directly to your personas and their trigger points can result in your brand making it to the consideration set in a competitive market.
- Email lists: Implement a balanced combination of great stories, videos and imagery as well as genuine offers.
- Social media as a distributor to owned content: social media signals mean the search engines pick up on your authority and influence and you will be more likely to be connected with your customers in semantic search.
Via Tourism Australia