The great First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."In other words, you must face your tiger.That is the beginning of overcoming fear.
Prepare yourself before entering the tiger's lair. As the saying goes "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity." So preparation is key for these conversations. Here are a few questions to consider in advance:
- What is the issue you need to discuss with the other person(s)?
- Why is it important to you?
- What is the biggest obstacle in the way of having this conversation?
- What is the cost of avoiding this conversation?
- What would you gain by having this conversation?
- What would it take for this conversation to go well?
So if you have been dreading and avoiding the conversations you should be having, now is the time to "do the thing you think you cannot do."