"It's a great time to be in education technology industry: venture capitalists have dropped a whopping $1.37 billion into the industry since 2011. That's a lot of cash & opportunitiy to seriously change the way we do education."
Here are excerpts of the five profiled:
1. 2U ~ The first startup of its kind to partner with top universities to offer full degree programs entirely on the Web.
- Founded in 2008, they've raised an impressive $97 million in venture funding, positioning it as a key leader in the ed tech industry.
- Launched in 2011, EdSurge was founded by veteran journalists and education technology professionals.
- Echo360 snagged $450 million to fund an initiative to reach 50 percent of U.S. college students in the next five years. The company also recently acquired ed-tech startup LectureTools Inc., its first public acquisition.
4. Noodle Think big education searh: Noodle has developed the most comprehensive, age-ubiquitous online search engine dedicated solely to educational topics.
- Founded in 2010 by the creator of the Princeton Review and 2U, the site features over 170,000 education providers and has received millions in funding.
5. Always Prepped In beta, Always Prepped provides online tools to help manage student and classroom data, providing a single stream of imported data for teachers to analyze their students or classes.
- They've raised an impressive $650,000 in startup funding.