Summary: From Michael Fullan’s session, Leadership for All, - The question:
What practices lead to effective leadership in change?
9 insights of leadership.
1. Relationships first (too fast/too slow): The art of change is hitting that sweet spot — don’t come in so fast that you put people off, nor so slow that you get absorbed by culture.
>> Careful entry to new setting
>> Listening to and learning from those who have been there longer
>> Engaging in fact finding and joint problem solving
>> Carefully (rather than rashly) diagnosing the situation
2. Honor the implementation dip
3. Beware of fat plans
4. Behaviors before beliefs
5. Communication during implementation is paramount >> Pair-Share in meetings: generating ideas & problem solving.
6. Learn about implementation during implementation
7. Excitement prior to implementation is fragile
8. Take risks and learn
9. Its okay to be assertive