"Inspiring Rockstars of the new economy ~ companies which inspire us with their ability to make money while making a difference, as well as their high growth and high impact."
Operating from 25 to nearly 225 years, these companies have maintained their commitment to mission through up and down business cycles, continued to create high-quality jobs and to improve the quality of life in our communities, and paved the way for today’s growing group of green, responsible, and sustainable businesses.
1) Sun Light and Power, founded in 1976, has been providing renewable energy and energy efficiency technology to California homeowners and businesses throughout on-again, off-again government support for solar.
- SLP has also remained devoted to its employees and the community and became a B Corp in 2009.
- Rather than subcontracting installations (a common industry practice), the company hires full-time employees and provides a living wage, health benefits, a retirement plan, and paid time off.
2) Seventh Generation, founded in 1988, is one of the nation’s most recognized brands of natural household and personal care products.
- The company has also grown its high-quality job base, doubling the size of its team to 113 in 2011.
- All of Seventh Generation’s products, raw materials, byproducts, and processes are sustainable.
- They began as a family-owned business before transitioning towards an employee-ownership model in 1996 and finally becoming 100% employee owned and thriving.
- Aan employee-owned B Corp, KAF has the freedom to emphasize values beyond profit, like environmental responsibility, community engagement, and the wellness and satisfaction of employees.
- More than 80% of health care premiums are paid for families and both full- and part-time employees receive a living wage.