Dr. Kathleen Godfrey outlines the main points of making a switch to using using technology in the classroom.
1. Technology is a pedagogical tool to be used thoughtfully and purposefully.
2. Technology should add something substantial to class instruction; it shouldn’t be used just for its own sake.
3. Although it has the power to transform teaching and learning, I need to provide scaffolding to help students learn to value technology-facilitated learning.
4. Just because someone is a digital native doesn’t mean that they will be able to learn new technologies easily.
5. Less is more. Although my students benefit from seeing me model how to use technology effectively, they have the ability to learn complex new technologies on a limited basis.