"It is better to die from bullets than from hunger" In the Philippines, activists put their lives on the line to fight the military and corporations ravaging their country.
-- WATCH --
September 15, 2013 The Real News
"It is better to die from bullets than from hunger"
CORPORATE AND MILITARY FORCES DESTROY INDIGENOUS LANDS, FORESTS AND LIVELIHOODS
Corporate agri-businesses like U.S.-based Dole, Del Monte, Monsanto, along with international and Philippine mines, are polluting waterways and destroying the surrounding farms. Chinese, European, Canadian, and Filipino mines are stripping away the mountains to get at what some estimate to be the largest iron deposit in the world. There also some of the most significant gold, nickel, and copper reserves in Asia.
September 17, 2013 Nation of Change
THE REAL COST OF GOLD IN THE PHILIPPINES http://www.nationofchange.org/real-cost-gold-philippines-1379427129
PHILIPPINES: OIL PALM EXPANSION IS TEARING APART INDIGENOUS PEOPLES LIVES, ECOSYSTEMS http://sco.lt/6JKRxB
La Via Campesina September 13, 2013
STATEMENT TO THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL FOR A LEGALLY BINDING INSTRUMENT ON TRANSNATIONAL CORPORATIONS http://viacampesina.org/en/index.php/actions-and-events-mainmenu-26/stop-transnational-corporations-mainmenu-76/1485-statement-to-the-human-rights-council-for-a-legally-binding-instrument-on-transnational-corporations
- ▶ INDONESIA RELOCATES, DISPLACES FAMILIES TO BUILD RESORTS. The People's Coalition for Fisheries Justice Indonesia (KIARA), a sea and land rights advocacy group, says the fate of Mustiadi and his community will become more common under a new government programme to promote investment in islands and coastal areas. KIARA says many more islands will effectively be sold to foreign buyers, trampling the rights of fishermen and threatening traditional livelihoods.... http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/01/indonesia-relocates-families-build-resorts-201412941833390.html
Redd-Monitor, January 07, 2014
- ▶ FORCED EVICTION BY KENYA THREATENS INDIGENOUS COMMUNITIES' HUMAN RIGHTS AND ANCESTRAL FORESTS http://www.redd-monitor.org/2014/01/07/forced-eviction-by-kenya-threatens-indigenous-communities-human-rights-and-ancestral-forests/
- ▶ ARGENTINA: THE MAPUCHE'S STRUGGLE FOR LAND http://intercontinentalcry.org/?wysija-page=1&controller=email&action=view&email_id=522&wysijap=subscriptions
Guardian, John Vidal
- ▶ SWALLOWED BY COAL: UK PROFITS FROM INDONESIA'S RAPE AND PILLAGE OF ENVIRONMENT BY HARMFUL COAL INDUSTRY http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/oct/30/coal-mining-uk-profits-indonesia
One World News, December 9, 2013
-▶ INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE VITAL FOR BIODIVERSITY, SAY EXPERTS
With species disappearing up to 1,000 times faster than the natural extinction rate, biodiversity experts say knowledge co-production with indigenous peoples has growing importance.
- ▶ SHOULD COMPANIES COMPENSATE SOCIETY FOR ENVIRONMENTAL DESTRUCTION FROM WHICH THEY PROFIT? http://sco.lt/72Hsf3
- ▶ MINING, FOREIGN LAND GRABS ENDANGERING LOCAL COMMUNITIES, ENVIRONMENT AND ECOSYSTEMS http://sco.lt/5M5eLp
- ▶ THE NEW CORPORATE COLONIALISM. DESTRUCTION OF PLANETARY LIFE, INDIGENOUS LAND AND LIVELIHOODS IN THE NAME OF "GROWTH" http://sco.lt/5nT3OT
- ▶ ENOUGHNESS: WESTERN THOUGHT vs INDIGENOUS PHILOSOPHY http://sco.lt/6EFbPt
--- TRADING PEOPLE FOR LAND AND FOREIGN INVESTMENT --
A GREAT TRAGEDY --
July 17, 2013 PBS Newshour
*******IN RACE TO DEVELOP MYANMAR (BURMA), GOVERNMENT GRABS PEASANT FARMLAND FOR FOREIGN INVESTMENT, LEAVING A TRAGEDY IF DISPLACED PERSONS IN IT'S WAKE http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/world/july-dec13/myanmar_07-17.html
- ▶ FOREIGN CORPORATIONS DESTROYING ECOSYSTEMS, INDIGENOUS LIVELIHOODS, NULLIFYING LAND RIGHTS, CREATING DEPENDENCY AND POVERTY ON A GLOBAL SCALE http://sco.lt/5vdZgH
- ▶ LAND GRABS: HOW FOREIGN "INVESTMENTS" ARE REDISTRIBUTING WEALTH, LAND AND WATER ACROSS THE GLOBE http://sco.lt/96H2yv
- ▶ ALUNA: COLUMBIA'S KOGI PEOPLE FIGHT AGAINST ECOCIDE - FILM REVIEW http://www.theecologist.org/reviews/films/2088264/aluna_columbias_kogi_people_fight_against_ecocide.html
- ▶ ERADICATING ECOCIDE AND GENOCIDE: WHY BUSINESS LEADERS MUST STEP UP TO THE CHALLENGE http://sco.lt/56vkOH
- ▶ HOW NOT TO 'FEED THE WORLD' http://sco.lt/6fKNnN
June 17, 2013 Guardian Global Development - John Vidal
'"We have no choice but to change the system"
- ▶ LA VIA CAMPESINA, WORLD'S LARGEST POLITICAL MOVEMENT, TO CHALLENGE MULTI-NATIONALS ON POVERTY AND INEQUALITY, LAND GRABS AND DEFORESTATION http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2013/jun/17/la-via-campesina-henry-saragih?CMP=EMCGBLEML1625
*****OBAMA'S SECRETIVE TRADE PACTS MOVING US TOWARDS CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AS SOVEREIGNTY RIGHTS NEGOTIATED AWAY http://sco.lt/6JnpS5