Business Insider, March 2013
- ▶ EQUADOR SELLING ONE THIRD OF ITS' RAINFORESTS TO CHINA
As oil forces a state of emergency in Peru.
Ecuador owed China more than $7 billion — more than a tenth of its GDP — as of last summer.
In 2009 China began loaning Ecuador billions of dollars in exchange for oil shipments. It also helped fund two of the country's biggest hydroelectric infrastructure projects, and China National Petroleum Corp may soon have a 30 percent stake in a $10 billion oil refinery in Ecuador.
"My understanding is that this is more of a debt issue – it's because the Ecuadoreans are so dependent on the Chinese to finance their development that they're willing to compromise in other areas such as social and environmental regulations," Adam Zuckerman, environmental and human rights campaigner at California-based NGO Amazon Watch, told the Guardian.
26 March, 2013 The Guardian
- ▶ ECUADOR AUCTIONS OFF AMAZON TO CHINESE OIL FIRMS http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/26/ecuador-chinese-oil-bids-amazon
March 28, 2013 AMAZON WATCH »
- ▶ ECUADOR'S AMAZON RAINFOREST MAY BE AUCTIONED TO CHINESE OIL COMPANIES http://amazonwatch.org/news/2013/0328-ecuadors-amazon-rainforest-may-be-auctioned-to-chinese-oil-companies
September 4, 2013 Mongabay
- ▶ DEFORESTATION SURGES AS ECUADOR KILLS AMAZON PROTECTION PLAN http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0903-ecuador-deforestation.html
- ▶ AMAZON RAINFORESTS: DEFORESTATION, MINING RISES AGAIN IN BRAZIL'S AMAZON IMPACTING ECOSYSTEMS, CLIMATE, DEVASTATING INDIGENOUS PEOPLES http://sco.lt/9FG1Lt
- ▶ DEFORESTATION RISE AGAIN IN BRAZIL'S AMAZON http://sco.lt/86G4dV
June 18, 2013 Business Insider
- ▶ INDIGENOUS PEOPLE FEND OFF OIL COMANY, ARMY WITH ARSENAL OF SPEARS, BLOWPIPES, MACHETES http://www.businessinsider.com/indigenous-people-fend-off-oil-company-army-with-arsenal-of-spears-blowpipes-machetes-2013-1#ixzz2OrmmKcgU
June 3, 2013 Forest News
- ▶ Q&A: WHO OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE WORLD/S COMMON RESOURCES? http://blog.cifor.org/16672/qa-who-owns-the-rights-to-the-worlds-common-resources/#.Ub6-u-swOic
Guardian Environment, December 20, 2013
- ▶ OIL INDUSTRY 'DEVASTATING' FOR AMAZON COMMUNITIES, WARNS UN RAPPORTEUR - James Anaya says oil companies have affected health and food sources of indigineous people in the Peruvian rainforest
- ▶ WHAT IS A TROPICAL FOREST? - NOT ONE ECOSYSTEM BUT MILLIONS OF ECOSYSTEMS WITHIN IT http://rainforest-alliance.org/kids/facts/tropical-forest
-- WATCH --
A journey into the soul of humanity -
A powerful statement about deforestation and the global industrial complex. http://sco.lt/68pTWb
- ▶ ENOUGHNESS: WESTERN THOUGHT vs INDIGENOUS PHILOSOPHY http://sco.lt/6EFbPt
- ▶ THE NEW CORPORATE COLONIALISM. Destruction of Planetary Life In The Name Of "Growth" http://sco.lt/5nT3OT