"The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) provides a definition of 21st Century Literacies specific to this challenge. They write, “Because technology has increased the intensity and complexity of literate environments, the twenty-first century demands that a literate person possess a wide range of abilities and competencies, many literacies. These literacies—from reading online newspapers to participating in virtual classrooms—are multiple, dynamic, and malleable.” The NCTE website suggests that necessary contemporary skills include the ability to
- Develop proficiency with the tools of technology
- Build relationships with others to pose and solve problems collaboratively and cross-culturally
- Design and share information for global communities to meet a variety of purposes
- Manage, analyze and synthesize multiple streams of simultaneous information
- Create, critique, analyze, and evaluate multi-media texts
- Attend to the ethical responsibilities required by these complex environments"
Interesting reading, I warmly recommend!
Via Karen Bonanno, Lourense Das, Anu Ojaranta