1. According to Brian Deese, the rapid rate of decline in the deficit is due to a constraint on the rate of growth of healthcare costs. The government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid are preventing heathcare costs from increasing.
2. The proposed budget for 1015 is expected to reduce deficits to be at 1.3%.
3. The president's budget builds on Congress's effort to compromise in the allocations of discretionary spending by investing in education, basic research, manufacturing, apprenticeships, etc while remaining within the levels of discretionary spending agreed on by Congress.
4. Pros of this budget decision are the investment in education and basic research on cures for disease. I think these are two important places funding needs to go. Cons, however, are the fact that the deficit is simply an estimation; we do not know if the deficit of 1.3% will actually be reached. If this limit is not increased, and we increase American investments, we could end up in a budget surplus.
President Obama is enacting an executive order baring federal contractors from retaliating against employees who discuss their pay with each other in order to close the pay gap between men and women. However, Obama is limited in the sense that he does not have full support from Congress. Many believe that he is placing a burden on companies by increasing what it costs to pay federal employees. Some also believe that compensation data used to gain equal pay will be used to create wage-related lawsuits. Not only will lawsuits occur, a system of wages that applies to federal companies but not other employers might occur as well. Because federal companies know that their business relies on the government, they will be less likely to protest the executive order. Companies not related to the federal government, however, may be willing to attempt to get around the order. In his executive order, Obama has chosen not to address the issue of gay rights. Obama is choosing to gain support from the House, giving rights to gay and lesbian Americans, before he alone takes the heat for the outcome of legalizing gay rights.
Video on msnbc.com: The age-old practice of politicians re-drawing Congressional districts to find friendly voters, or, gerrymandering, has allowed members of the House of Representatives from both sides of the aisle to stay in power regardless of...
Gerrymandering is the redistricting of states so that one party is favored. This was created by a founding father, Albred Gerry, who redrew state districts so that his party would win favor. It was said to look like a salamander and therefore "gerrymandering" was created. Redrawn districts look like distorted shapes and are usually made up of a majority of the favored party. House Seats are reappointed when the control of the House of Representatives switches from Republican to Democratic control and vice versa. One potential solution to gerrymandering is to redraw boundaries by using population and geography to determine where lines should be drawn. This would mean that incumbents would actually be challenge, and have potential of losing elections. Gerrymandering has a direct outcome on the electoral college, because if a district is drawn to favor one party, the party in favor will win representation and the state holding the district will be classified as the favored party.
1. Based off of this article, it seems like the media is looking for a candidate who is a good campaigner and has vast experience with politics.
2. In the article, Sabato rarely even touches the issue of policy issues discussed by candidates. He stays focused on their amount of experience and the pros and cons that will help them win or lose and election.
3. A 'permanent presidential campaign" means that if a politician is considering running for office, they must begin campaigning years in advance. This shows how the American government is decided mostly based off of their campaign strategy, not their stance on the country's issues and how they plan to solve them.
4. I do think that their is an advantage in being an early leader in the race, because it shows that citizens are already aware and fond of the potential candidate, meaning that candidate will be embedded in voters minds on election day.
More Americans today are satisfied with where the nation stands on acceptance of gays and lesbians, federal taxes, and healthcare availability than were satisfied in 2001. But Americans' satisfaction with the economy has declined.
1. The historical events of the past 13 years do explain Americans' satisfaction or dissatisfaction with US policies. For example the War In Iraq explains the the downturn with the economy and the people's unhappiness during times of recession.
2. The chart of the different party views is almost identical to what the textbook leads readers to expect. Liberals are unhappy with US gun and military policies, but are accepting of US taxes and healthcare programs. Conservatives on the other hand are unhappy with immigration yet happy with US military and national security policies.
3. Republicans are more likely to support policies having to do with military spending and the War in Iraq while Democrats are more likely to support healthcare policies such as Medicare and Medicaid and the legalizing of gay marriage.
4. The sampling error is slightly higher than usual, meaning that the poll does not provide insight on the political views of all different groups who partake in US politics. This mean that most Americans could have a neutral view, or even side with both parties of different issues.
1. Roberts has take a slightly conservative method to policy action, convincing liberals to have more compromised positions on the court. Under his authority the court has done things like refused to legalize same sex marriage and opted out of the Medicaid portion of Obamacare.
2. Precedent is the way similar cases have been decided in the past. The Roberts court has used precedent to make decisions based off of traditional ideology, but at the same time Roberts persuades liberal court members to swing toward more conservative views.
3. If the President wants to see greater success in the Court, he should switch to more moderate views and be willing to compromise his liberal views.
4. Justice Ruth Bade Ginsberg is the court's "swing vote" because she is the court's only senior member of the liberal wing. What she says is usually what the other liberals will agree with.
5. The article seems to have been written in favor of the conservative party. The author talk often of Roberts changing liberals into moderates.
1. The NRA is excercising its influence on the ban of guns by rallying its members against Murthy (leader of ban on guns) in a huge political campaing. The NRA believes that Murthy is a radical.
2. Senators are concerned, because if they vote "yes" to the ban on guns, they will lose approval of the entire NRA. That causes them to lose a huge number of their supporters.
3. The White House is readjusting it's support of Muirthy's campaign. They overevaluated support form the Democrats, and are not having to readjust thier campaign due to a lack of Democratic support.
4. The White House could pursue more campaign strategaies hilighting the negative effects of guns, instead of just relying on support from specific parties. They learned this when their reliance of support from the Democrats fell through.
1. The electoral college was put in place by the founding fathers so that a majority could be decided when electing a candidate. THis also prevented one legislature of government deciding who became president without the opinion of the others.
2. A common strategy to get the 270 is to focus n winning states who do not have a set party loyalty. Swing states are states that carry the most number of electoral college votes and can be swayed to either party, therefore most attention is focused on them during elections.
3. The House of Representatives chooses the president when no candidates receive 270 votes.
4. In the 2000 election AL Gore had won the public majority while George Bush won the electoral college, thus winning the election. Most Americans had voted for Gore though, which caused hem to question if Bush was the true winner.
5. I do not love the electoral college system because I do not believe that it gives all US a citizens a say in elections. However, I cannot think of a more effective way that is just as efficient and believe that until someone is able to develop a better system, the electoral college is sustainable.
Texas remains a Republican-leaning state because its white residents are becoming increasingly Republican and its large Hispanic population, though solidly Democratic, is less so than Hispanics nationally.
1. Democrats are hopeful of a party realignment in Texas because most Texas Hispanics are mostly democratic, and they are slowly becoming a majority instead of a minority. This means that eventually Hispanics will be a minority majority in Texas, making up most of the Texas population.
2. Most white Texans are Republican (61%) while most Hispanic Texans are Democratic (46%). Texas is the nation's largest reliably Republican state.
3. Gallup believes that Texas will not experience political realignment, because Texas Hispanics are more likely not to register to vote. Although they may have an opinion, their lack of hands on political participation prevents Texas from having a mostly Democratic population.
4. The poll has a 1% error because the pollers made sure to do half of the surveys over cell phone calls and the other half over landline calls and chose those to be surveyed at random. The also make the polls in Spanish so that all Hispanics were able to participate.
Sharing your scoops to your social media accounts is a must to distribute your curated content. Not only will it drive traffic and leads through your content, but it will help show your expertise with your followers.
How to integrate my topics' content to my website?
Integrating your curated content to your website or blog will allow you to increase your website visitors’ engagement, boost SEO and acquire new visitors. By redirecting your social media traffic to your website, Scoop.it will also help you generate more qualified traffic and leads from your curation work.
Distributing your curated content through a newsletter is a great way to nurture and engage your email subscribers will developing your traffic and visibility.
Creating engaging newsletters with your curated content is really easy.