The battle for the final resting place of King Richard III seems already won after it was revealed the decision is in the hands of university experts.
More than 11,000 people have signed a petition calling for Richard to be re-interred in York and York Council is writing to the Queen and the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) to lay claim to the remains of the last Plantagenet king.
But yesterday the MoJ said an archaeological exhumation licence had been issued which required details of where the remains would be laid to rest.
It said: “The licence we issued states that [the University of Leicester] would, no later than August 31, 2014, deposit the remains at Jewry Wall Museum or have them interred at St Martin’s Cathedral or in a burial ground in which interments may legally take place. The precise location of reburial is now for the University of Leicester.”