This report represents the results of the investigation of the ruinsof a Glasshouse within the 18th century Walled Garden at Amisfield in East Lothian.
This was a joint project as part of the Peter Potter Lost Landscapesproject with support from the Amisfield Preservation Trust.
It included the involvement of over 180 people ranging through local school classes, and groups from Tynepark Centre, North Berwick
Day Centre, Dad’s Work and local volunteers as well as Students
from Edinburgh University.
The excavation uncovered the central Glasshouse on the north wall(south facing) and revealed the stonework from the 1783 buildingcontaining both a tile hypocaust system and later cast iron pipeheating system with raised beds and walkways related to theoriginal use as a Pineapple House (Vinery Pinery) built by theWemyss Estate.
The Walled Garden also has four corner pavilions, of which thenorth east Pavilion was subjected to building record as part of atraining day.Geophysical work carried out by the Edinburgh ArchaeologicalField
The project was made possible by Peter Potter Gallery,Haddinton as part of their Lost Landscapes Programme.