1. We are experiencing historical reduction in the rate of growth of health care cost. Because healthcare organizations such as medicare and medicaid are such a large part of the government budget we can shrink the deficit by constraining the rate of growth of health care.
2. The presidents budget proposes it would consistently reduce the percentage of GDP of the defect to 1.6%.
3. Using the 30% discretionary spending the president plans to invest in initiatives that will create job growth to increase economical growth. He plans to invest in early education, research, manufacturing, and apprenticeships. For example the budget includes 650 grants going towards research in the hopes to expand the private sector and increase job opportunity.
4. I agree with the investment in education and research because the experience and knowledge gained will not only create more jobs but also expand our economy and help us compete with other countries globally. I think his proposal for promise zones is a very risky investment that might fall through because of the magnitude of poverty in some areas.
1. President Obama is enacting executive order because of his difficulties in coming to a compromise with congress. The two executive orders will requirebarring federal contractors from retaliating against employees who discuss their pay with each other and also require the Labor Department to adopt rules requiring federal contractors to provide compensation data based on sex and race.
2. Limitations on Obama’s power of executive order includebeing challenged and deemed unlawful by federal courts. Executive Order cannot simply defy Congress’s intent.
3. Republicans say Obama’s use of executive order is overstepping his power and he should do more to work with Congress. Critics also say this legislation puts an undue burden on companies and increases their cost.
4. Federal Contractors believe additional compensation data could be used to fuel lawsuits and creates a two-tiered system in which rules apply to federal contractors but not to other employees.
5. The White House is not using executive order to create an anti-discrimination executive order that would protect gays and lesbians working for federal contractors.
6. The Obama administration believes that legislation will be passed in Congress soon that will create anti-discrimination legislation that will protect gays and lesbians working for federal contractors, so in order to prevent redundancy and to extend this right to all Americans, he is not passing this as an executive order.
Video on msnbc.com: The age-old practice of politicians re-drawing Congressional districts to find friendly voters, or, gerrymandering, has allowed members of the House of Representatives from both sides of the aisle to stay in power regardless of...
1.Gerrymandering is the process of legislators to redraw congressional districts in order to give a certain party more power and security or redrawing maps to find friendly voters. The idea of gerrymandering was created by Elbridge Gerry in 1812.2.They are drawn in very odd shapes such as spilled coffee, a flexing man, ear muffs, and a broken- winged pterodactyl. The shapes are unorganized and haphazard. 3.House seats are reapportioned every ten years after the census is taken.4.Mathematicians have proposed organizing electoral maps by creating an algorithm that separates the districts evenly by population and geography, taking the politics out of it.5.Gerrymandering can favor an incumbent because it has set up a system where politicians are choosing their voters instead of voters choosing their politicians. This is demonstrated by the fact that congress has an average approval rating of 15% but 90% of congressman were reelected in 2012.6.The control of the house became Republican whenRepublicans won the majority of state houses in 2010. Because of this, they redrew the maps. Nationwide democrats running for congress in 2012 got 1.3 million more votes, but there were 33 more republicans sent to congress than democrats.
1.The media encourages a unique personality for candidates of both parties as to make them memorable. It also significantly takes into consideration candidates’ past scandals and lessens their likelihood of election if involved in a scandal. The media might also take into consideration how steadfast a candidate is to its party’s ideals. The media might expect different things from different parties because of their different platforms and strategical stance going into the election.
2.Sabato is mostly concerned with how the candidate’s stance responds to the party stance. His data deals with how easily or rigidly a candidate’s platform aligns with party beliefs.
3.The permanent presidential campaign refers to the never-ending cycle of elections and reelections taking place in government. This means the government in constantly changing, shifting, and adapting to new political cultures.
4. I believe there is an advantage to being called as a candidate early because one would have more time to distribute ideas and future policy to the people. People would be more comfortable with that person come election day as opposed to a representative the people barely know and barely have enough time to now.
Texas remains a Republican-leaning state because its white residents are becoming increasingly Republican and its large Hispanic population, though solidly Democratic, is less so than Hispanics nationally.
1. Democrats are hoping for a realignment in Texas so that the party can make a run for the governor's seat. The minority majority holds more power in the elections since it is greater in number than the traditional white majority. Since most Hispanics in Texas are Democrats, the monirity majority has a powerful chance of turning the state blue. Since the combined minority has become the majority, Democrats hope for a more accurate representation of the people with a democrat in office.
2. Almost half of Hispanics in Texas lean Democratic but the GOP is making meaningful gains with Hispanics, moreso than any other state. Despite Hispanics' political power in the minority majority, only nineteen percent are registered to vote. The white demographic contains the highest percentage of political participation and is largely republican.
3. Despite most Hispanics affiliation with the democratic party, Hispanics political participation percentage is very low. Because of this Gallup suggests there will not be a political realignment of Texas in the near future. This example illustrates the fact that without a good percentage of political participation, party affiliations within a minority will not have great impact.
4. The poll was taken by phone calls for a sample of over 100,000 people randomly all over the country, which is significantly greater than the necessary value of 1,500.
Large corporations have been consistently favored in the court. The court has taken a more conservative approach to laws by being the “most pro-business court” the country has seen lately.The Roberts court has more often overturned precedent. Some instances where the Roberts Court has followed precedent include not overturning affirmative action, giving Congress another chance at altering the Voting Rights Act, and not finding a constitutional right to same-sex marriage.Since the Court lately has not ruled in favor of Obama, he may have to take extra strides to work with Supreme Court jurisdiction.
4. Justice Kennedy is considered the swing vote. Though he was appointed by a republican his ideology is not one way or the other, making him a swing vote decider of 4-5 voting disagreements.
5. There is discernable bias as a result of demonstrating how the Roberts court leans toward a more conservative vote.
The NRA is influencing this appointment by directly contacting its members and asking them to contact their senators to agree to not support this appointment. Because Dr. Murthy believes in stricter gun laws and in favor of gun control, in opposition to the NRAs stance, the interest group is working through its members to keep this presidential appointment from going through. The NRAs specific concerns lie in the fact that Dr. Murthy believes all automatic weapons should be banned, there should be a limit on ammunition sales, and restrictions on how guns van be purchased and who can own them. This is opposite of the NRAs agenda.For senators, the concern lies in obeying the will of the constituents or the will of the party. For some senators this is easy, but the greatest concern lies in the Democratic senators that represent a state that does not favor gun control, a staple in the view of the Democratic Party.The President nominated Dr. Murthy as Chief of Surgery while the Senate votes to approve or disapprove this appointment.The white house is recalibrating its plan of action after this nominee’s failure. They include working with Democratic leaders to gain more support, allowing Murthy to withdraw, or delaying the vote. The white house tends to overestimate democratic support in these matters.
The framers of the constitution chose the Electoral College for choosing the president because they did not want to leave the task up to the Congress. They thought this would give the legislative branch too much power. At the same time, the framers did not want the president chosen directly by the people because they did not fully trust their decision making. Their solution was to have a system where the people voted for electors who were educated elite and represented the population proportionately that could vote for the president. This would also give smaller states more influence instead of being overpowered by the influence of the larger states.Most candidate will go for the large states with the most electors because it is easier to get a few large states to reach 270 instead of many small states to reach the same majority. Swing states are states that vary in which party they go with from year to year. Swing states such as Ohio and Florida have not consistently gone with one party or the other but instead have alternated from year to year. This could potentially change the outcome of an election for a candidate especially considering the size of a state like Florida and the amount of electors it has. A safe state is one that will almost always vote a certain way such as Texas. Since Teas historically goes Republican, a democratic candidate might not want to spend large amounts of energy and resources trying to win Texas but instead put their efforts elsewhere.If there is no clear majority in the Electoral College when choosing a president, the vote goes to the House of Representatives. Each state gets one vote. For large states like Texas and California, this can be difficult because they have 38 and 55 electors respectively. But this system gives much more influence to small states with less electors.The 2000 election made many people question if the Electoral College undermines the true views of the people since the popular vote did not agree with the Electoral College. It made the people wonder of the system takes power away from the people and gives it to the government.At first I was one hundred percent dissatisfied with the Electoral College system because I thought it undermined the people’s views and it was too complicated. After learning more about it I see how the system upholds a two party system, gives smaller states a little more influence, and shows a clear majority winner, which would actually make things less complicated. I still see many flaws with the system when the popular vote does not agree with the electoral vote, but I see some value to the system now.
More Americans today are satisfied with where the nation stands on acceptance of gays and lesbians, federal taxes, and healthcare availability than were satisfied in 2001. But Americans' satisfaction with the economy has declined.
1. The historical events of the period have greatly affected the results of this poll. 9/11 and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan have changed American approval of our standing in the world and our foreign affairs for the worse. The end of the dot com boom and the beginning of the 2008-2009 recession significantly alterered people's views of the economy. They now disapprove of the state of the economy significantly more than in the past.
2. For the most part these results coincide with democratic and republican views. Republicans show more approval of the state of the environment and gun policy while Democrats show more approval of social policies such as the legalization of gay marriage and Social Security and Welfare programs. I found it interesting that the two parties' approval of many issues such as quality of public education and quality of medical care are almost the same. Republicans show less concern for the environment and they do not support stricter gun laws, so these approval ratings make sense. Democrats endorse more support of scoial issuessuch as gay marriage and more government sponsored programs for the people to use. Their support of gay marriage and socil securoty and welfare makes sense. I believe both parties share the same approval or dissaproval on some issues because most people are moderate but call themselves a democrat or republican. Most take a republican view on most things and a democratic on others or vice versa.
3. Democrats will more likely favor policies such as the affordable health care act and support social welfare programs.Republicans will favor policies that involve less government control such as tax cuts and less strict gun laws.
4. This means that the data taken could be a lot closer than what is seen. Issues where the ratings seperated by 8% could lead to actual results of the same approval rating. This completely changes the readers' view on data taken over energy policies and federal taxes. Some of the data is so close that when the percentage error is taken into acoount, democrats may have more approval of an issue than republicans or vice versa. This can be seen in data taken for control of crime, quality of medical care, and race relations.
Sharing your scoops to your social media accounts is a must to distribute your curated content. Not only will it drive traffic and leads through your content, but it will help show your expertise with your followers.
How to integrate my topics' content to my website?
Integrating your curated content to your website or blog will allow you to increase your website visitors’ engagement, boost SEO and acquire new visitors. By redirecting your social media traffic to your website, Scoop.it will also help you generate more qualified traffic and leads from your curation work.
Distributing your curated content through a newsletter is a great way to nurture and engage your email subscribers will developing your traffic and visibility.
Creating engaging newsletters with your curated content is really easy.