1. Brian Deese states that reasons for the rapid rate of decline in the deficit include a reduction in the health care costs which greatly supports Medicare and Medicaid.
2. The president’s proposed budget for 2015 would continue decreasing the deficit with the low costs of healthcare. By spending less on healthcare, the government will be able to invest more in significant matters such as infrastructure, education, and innovation, ultimately benefiting the country by allowing our economy to grow.
3. Obama’s budget builds on Congress’s effort to compromise in the allocation of discretionary spending by investing in matters that he believes will be most beneficial for the growth of our economy. One component of the Opportunity, Growth, and Security Initiative is early learning in which Obama envisions to add 100,000 new slots for early education for children around the country.
4. Cons of the budget proposal would include the negative effects of the reduction of health care costs and how it affects Medicare and Medicaid. Pros would include lowering the deficit and possessing more money to invest in significant matters such as infrastructure, education, and innovation. Investing in education will set the basis for imminent growth and development, ultimately benefiting the country with a promising future of a growing economy.
President Obama has chosen to sign executive orders that prevent employers from retaliating against employees who discuss their pay with each other in order to equalize wages between men and women as well as compensate based on sex and race. By choosing to enact these executive orders, Obama is attempting to keep the tradition of exerting presidential powers over the economy. Obama’s greatest limitation on his executive orders in general is his lack of congressional support. Republicans criticize Obama for “pushing his executive powers too far” and not attempting to compromise more with congress. This might cause a decline for Obama’s approval of the people, leading to future limitations. A specific criticism regarding his new executive orders is that he is putting an unnecessary strain on companies by increasing their expenses.The White House has chosen not to address an anti-discrimination executive order that would protect gays and lesbians working for federal contractors. Due to the fear of losing vital public support, the Obama administration is hesitant to address this area and would like for the House to approve a Senate-passed bill extending those protections to all Americans.
Video on msnbc.com: The age-old practice of politicians re-drawing Congressional districts to find friendly voters, or, gerrymandering, has allowed members of the House of Representatives from both sides of the aisle to stay in power regardless of...
Gerrymandering is the legislative process by which the majority party in each state redraws congressional districts to ensure the maximum number of seats for its candidates. It got its name from Governor Elbridge Gerry who crafted a district that looked like a salamander. Some characteristics include that the districts are primarily composed of one major party in order to ensure the area for that certain party. House of Representative seats are reapportioned after every U.S. census which is every ten years. The potential solution to gerrymandering provided in the video is having mathematicians use algorithms to redraw the districts using geography and population to eliminate the politics of gerrymandering. Incumbents would have a lower chance of reelection and have to truly campaign in order to get voters to vote for them. Yes there are similarities between the potential outcomes with the Electoral College and gerrymandering. If an area is redistricted in order to take advantage of the partisan votes, then the area will be inaccurately represented.
1. The media is looking for a candidate that will make history and possesses the capacity for strong leadership through a good political record. They desire someone who is well known and not afraid to compromise with the opposing party in order to solve the problems confronting the nation. These desirable characteristics are the same for both parties, but the Democratic Party is leading with Hilary Clinton really fitting these desires.
2. Sabato does not primarily focus on the platform of the candidates; he focuses on Congress’s opinion on the candidates, the candidates’ opinion on Medicaid, speaking abilities, and past actions of the candidate. He really emphasizes their political record, support and financial backing.
3. This phrase is implying the long and arduous process pertaining to campaigning where all eyes are on the candidate. Candidates really strive to gain the favor of the media in order to display a capable and respectable public image. Implications for government include vetting many years in advance as well as proving the candidate’s capacity through various actions. In the end, the public should acquire as much information from as many different sources possible about the contenders in order to make an informed choice over the presidency.
4. It is an advantage to be identified as an early leader in the presidential race. There are several benefits involved including more media exposure for the candidate which results in early momentum of gaining votes as well as money. Early exposure also allows for the citizens to relate to the candidate’s political stances and grow fonder of the candidate. This can result in a bandwagon of people giving momentum to the candidate’s campaign.
Texas remains a Republican-leaning state because its white residents are becoming increasingly Republican and its large Hispanic population, though solidly Democratic, is less so than Hispanics nationally.
As the minority population increases, the potential for Texas to see a rare political re-alignment towards a more democratic party also increases, overturning the largest republic state. This is related to minority majority due to the fact that Hispanic Americans are predicted to soon outnumber white Americans.
Hispanics tend to vote more on the democratic side at 46% while the majority of the white vote republican at 61%.However, the number of republican Hispanic Americans in Texas is gradually increasing.
Gallup suggests that Texas will most likely not result in a party realignment due to the sparse number of registered Hispanic American voters. Although several Hispanic Americans claim to be democratic, the low minority votes result in low political participation, slowing the process of a party realignment.
Telephone interviews conducted in English and Spanish on both land-line telephones and cell phones were administered to a random sample of about 178,527 people from every state, gathering information from all demographics. In addition, samples were weighted to ensure that all national demographics were met.
1. The Conservative opinion has been regularly favored by Roberts in his court decisions. This is proven through his actions of consistently persuading the court’s more liberal justices to join compromise opinions, gaining several conservative victories.
2. Precedent is the way similar cases were handled in the past. Roberts court has generally made rulings centered on precedent by cutting back on class actions and favoring arbitration. This has earned Roberts court the reputation of being the “most pro-business court in the modern era” but it still emphasizes previous decisions made in the court.
3. The President will need to compromise by appointing more liberals to the Court or by making moderate legislature in line with his own philosophies that is palatable to both the right and left wing. This will result in less polarization between the two parties, ultimately achieving greater success in the Court.
4. Between the four conservative justices and the four liberal justices is Justice Kennedy who can sway the vote one way or another. In several divided cases, Justice Kennedy has leaned both right and left, granting momentum to whichever party he leaned towards.
5. In this article, the author wrote with slight bias towards the conservative side. The author glorified Roberts for being such an adept Chief Justice in the beginning of the article. For the most part, the author presented compelling facts about both the conservatives and liberals, but by picking certain facts, there was nominal bias.
1. The NRA is exercising its influence on this appointment through grassroots strategies of emailing citizens to tell their senators to vote against the confirmation of President Obama’s antigun nominee, Dr. Vivek H. Murthy. The interest group is concerned that this nominee will possess some type of influence on supporting anti-gun policies which is completely against the NRA’s beliefs. They do not want stricter gun restrictions.
2. Democratic Senators, many of whom are up for re-election, are in a tight spot by facing opposition from the NRA. Their position is at stake in many Republican states such as Alaska, Arkansas, and Louisiana. All their power could potentially disappear in such a close election if they support President Obama’s choice for Surgeon General, Dr. Vivek H. Murthy.
3. The president proposes the nomination in the confirmation process while the White House guides the method towards ensuring the nomination gets confirmed.
4. A strategy that the White House could pursue is nominating a candidate who does not possess such robust opinions. Nominating someone with strong beliefs may create dispute within the voting process. After this experience, the White House learned not to be caught up only in their stances and beliefs and take a broader perspective to weigh out the impact of opposing views.
All about the Electoral College. This original video from Disney Educational Productions tackles one of the most interesting elements of U.S. presidential el...
Vanessa Pabon's insight:
1. In the Constitutional Convention of 1787, the framers of the constitution included the electoral college in the constitution in order to the president to be selected by the nation’s elite, not directly by the people. According to article II, section 1 of the Constitution, each state was allocated a number of Electors equal to the number of its U.S. Senators plus the number of its U.S. Representative. The manner of choosing the Electors was left to the individual State legislatures. 2. A “swing state” is a US state where the two major political parties have similar levels of support among voters. These states are important in determining the overall result of a presidential election because the candidate will receive all electoral votes of the state that the candidate sways. A "safe state", on the other hand, is a state that is going to almost always vote a certain way. The common strategy for a candidate to get 270 is to strongly campaign in the “swing” states in order to earn their vote. 3. If no candidate receives an Electoral College majority, then the election is thrown into the House of Representatives, which must choose from among the top three electoral vote winners. 4. Both Bush and Gore were close on the amount of electoral votes received. Although Al Gore had won the popular vote by 48.4 to 47.9 percent, he did not receive the electoral vote which prevented him from becoming president. This marked the first time since 1888 that the winner of the popular vote lost the decisive Electoral College count, putting the spotlight on the Electoral College. 5. No, I am not satisfied with the current system because I believe that the President should be elected directly by the people and not through the elite Electoral College. As the framers intended, the president elected should be chosen by the people because this country is a democracy. With the winner-takes- all system, it is difficult for third party or independent candidates to win enough electoral votes to become president. Everyone should have a fair chance.
More Americans today are satisfied with where the nation stands on acceptance of gays and lesbians, federal taxes, and healthcare availability than were satisfied in 2001. But Americans' satisfaction with the economy has declined.
1. The 13-year comparison provides evidence that historical events do indeed explain the changes in public opinion. Historical events such as the 9/11 attack have altered Americans’ perspectives and have caused the public opinion to shift towards a desire for an increase in reinforced national defense and involvement with foreign affairs.
2. These results coincide with my expectations. Republicans advocate narrowing the scope of government, yet support government-imposed limits on abortion and school prayers. Liberals typically support a broader scope of government and usually want to limit government’s role in prohibiting abortion and place greater constraints on government’s freedom of action in the criminal justice system.
3. Republicans would support public policy involving limiting abortion, freer gun control, and changing the availability of health care. Democrats would support public policy involving stricter gun control, better quality of environment, and policies reducing the amount of poverty and homelessness.
4. This means that the level of confidence is above and below 4% and that the poll results are within 4 percent of what the entire population thinks. This may call for some reevaluation of our interpretation because the data presented is most likely not entirely accurate.
Sharing your scoops to your social media accounts is a must to distribute your curated content. Not only will it drive traffic and leads through your content, but it will help show your expertise with your followers.
How to integrate my topics' content to my website?
Integrating your curated content to your website or blog will allow you to increase your website visitors’ engagement, boost SEO and acquire new visitors. By redirecting your social media traffic to your website, Scoop.it will also help you generate more qualified traffic and leads from your curation work.
Distributing your curated content through a newsletter is a great way to nurture and engage your email subscribers will developing your traffic and visibility.
Creating engaging newsletters with your curated content is really easy.