As 2013 draws to a close Juniper Research has drawn up a list of predictions for the coming year, all neatly wrapped up as the top trends for the technologies industries for 2014.
2014: When Cities Get Smarter
The idea of connecting every physical object to the Internet and communicating with each other is not new, but there has been an ever increasing activity within the industry over the past 12 months towards enabling a well-connected infrastructure via the evolution of efficient and intelligent systems. As technology continues to enable more economic and efficient living for the urban population next year, the need for municipal authorities to cut carbon footprints and reduce overall expenditure will provide additional pressures.
There are already a number of high-profile urban testbeds for smart technology, notably Singapore, Barcelona and Nice, where the introduction of connected sensors has improved parking, lighting and environmental monitoring. Juniper anticipates that the next 12 months will see a host of other cities follow suit, resulting not only in increased efficiencies but also in the provision of new business for the population.
Top Ten Tech Predictions for 2014
The full list of our top ten tech predictions follow below, with each prediction explained in more detail in the free report available to download from the Juniper Research website.
1. 2014: When Cities Get Smarter
2. mAgri to Build on mPayment Success in Developing Markets
3. The Watershed Year for Wearables
4. iPads & Tablets Flourish in Educational Settings
5. Mobile Fitness Devices Diversify into mHealth Arenas
6. Global 4G LTE Subscribers to double in 2014, as 4G LTE-Advanced roll out increases
7. Context Awareness in Mobile Computing Gathers Pace
8. Disruption in the Home Gaming Market
9. The Cloud Becomes Personal
10. 3D Printer Shipments to Surge