UNITED NATIONS: Geneva / Nairobi / Mexico City / New York, 5 September 2012 -
Chemicals damaging health and environment – USATODAY.com
A U.N. report highlights the growing health and environmental hazards from chemicals.The report by the U.N. Environment Program warned that the increasing production of chemicals is increasing health costs.
UNEP said chemicals have become so important to daily life in today's world that the value of their output has grown to $4.12 trillion, compared to $171 billion in 1970.
But of the more than 140,000 chemicals estimated to be on the market today, UNEP said only a fraction have been thoroughly evaluated to determine their effects on health and the environment.
UNEP's Executive Director Achim Steiner said the world is increasingly dependent on chemical products, from fertilizers and petrochemicals to electronics and plastics, for economic development but he said "the gains that chemicals can provide must not come at the expense of human health and the environment."... http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-09-06/un-chemicals-health/57634948/1#.UGuiFNqzOUc.twitter
ORIGINAL GLOBAL CHEMICALS OUTLOOK REPORT Urgent Action Needed to Reduce Growing Health and Environmental Hazards from Chemicals: UN Report - UNEP http://ow.ly/eaSRK UNEP's Global Chemicals Outlook Report -http://www.unep.org/newscentre/default.aspx?DocumentID=2694&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;ArticleID=9266
PESTICIDES USE RAMPING UP AS GMO CROP TECHNOLOGY BACKFIRES: STUDY http://ow.ly/eb2NH
October 3, 2012: HOW GMOs UNLEASHED A PESTICIDE GUSHER http://www.carighttoknow.org/gmos_unleashed_a_pesticide_gusher
1. Global Chemicals Outlook Launch | Geneva Environment Network http://www.environmenthouse.ch/?q=en/events/global-chemicals-outlook-launch
2. THE GLOBAL CHEMICAL BIOTECH CARTEL: An unprecedented power over world agriculture, environment and human health http://www.scoop.it/t/agriculture-gmos-pesticides/p/1716244040/the-global-chemical-biotech-cartel-an-unprecedented-power-over-world-agriculture-and-human-health
3. UNEP’s Global Chemicals Outlook: Towards Sound Management of Chemicals - Strengthening UN-Civil Society Relations http://www.un-ngls.org/spip.php?article4084
4. China.org.cn - UNEP launches global chemicals outlook report http://www.china.org.cn/environment/2012-09/06/content_26442507.htm
5. Global Chemical Outlook Addresses Green Economy Transition - Sustainable Development Policy & Practice http://uncsd.iisd.org/news/unep-global-chemical-outlook-addresses-green-economy-transition/