Social media is the platform and social learning is the act.
(paraphrased by me - dn)
Social learning... is the act of exchanging ideas, knowledge or information through social media means.
Marcia Conner and Tony Bingham, in The New Social Learning, define social learning as:
- ...people becoming more informed, gaining a wider perspective, and
- being able to make better decisions by engaging with others.
- ...acknowledg[ing] that learning happens with and through other people,
- a matter of participating in a community,
- not just by acquiring knowledge.
Social learning is a behavior. It is not a separate behavior outside of the overall learning spectrum, but one that is also relatively new. One cannot assume that by enlisting in a Facebook or Twitter account (social media examples) that the user will be able to socially learn.
Organizations not only need to help with the definition of learning, they need to provide the right opportunities to help their employees understand how to socially learn as well.