Pinterest THIS! It's an opportunity to channel your connect-the-dots ability into absorbing this prescient piece from Brain Pickings.
It may strike you as sophisticated & illuminating or wandering and confusing, depending on how it grabs your favorites or introduces you to unknown history.
Some excerpted nuggets:
"...contemporary visual culture: the convergence of highbrow and lowbrow, the vernacular of advertising, the dynamics of newspaper and magazine publishing, the creation of avant-garde mass culture, and a wealth in between."
"The purpose of this inventory is to draw a circle around a body of objects; to take stock of their common properties; and to tell a story about where they came from, what they were, and where they led.
Their variety is such as to sustain a multiplicity of narrative threads: about
- the rise of a new photo-driven graphic vernacular;
- the triumph of a certain cognitive/cultural style;
- criss-crossing between high and low,
- erudite and the mass cultural;
- the shifting boundaries between books, magazines, music, television, and film.”
Referred: for the Information Age via @piscitelli