Ever since 3DTin started, I chose Google App Engine to host the website, mainly due to extremely cheap hosting and my preference for Python. GAE has served us well. During the times of flash traffic it has helped us remain up.
However, as 3DTin's needs started to diverge from a typical website (Export server, Cadmium factory server), we found GAE to be very limiting. I have been contemplating the shift from GAE for over a year now.
But it didn't make sense to spend time on it at the expense of ignoring CAD features of the frontend. However, GAE announced certain changes in past month and it suddenly made sense to work on the migration after all. I spent entire October re-architecting our server architecture.
In the new design I got chance to implement certain features that should reduce the overall loa