Leaders have to be able to flexibly adapt their strategies in line with their personal qualities, the company culture, and the situation. The new thinking about leadership emphasizes authenticity, openness, caring and flexibility.
A leader needs to be genuine and lead by example, understanding and is emotionally connected in order to inspire loyal followers.
Here six qualities a leader needs to be successful:
- A good leader lives by the same principles he expects of his followers
- Great leaders inspire us to reach for the stars and to become what we dream of.
- Good leaders show empathy - they take the time to listen to and connect emotionaly with followers at all levels
- The best leaders show passion, commitment, and dedication. They put the organization first and are willing to make personal sacrifices to achieve group goals that they highly value. They display self-discipline and unselfishness.
- A key quality of leadership is the ability to inspire others through emotional connection as well as rational arguments and explanation. Leaders articulate their vision in such a way that followers can see the big picture. Leadership involves engaging the whole person including the sense, thoughts, and emotions.
- Great leadership involves bringing out the best in the followers. Leaders create an organizational culture in which the strengths and potential of each individual are valued and recognized.
These words sum it up so wonderful:
Leadership is not so much about technique and methods as it is
about opening the heart. Leadership is about inspiration - of oneself
and of others. Great leadership is about human experiences, not processes. Leadership is not a formula or a program, it is a human activity that comes from the heart and considers the hearts of others.
It is an attitude, not a routine.
— Lance Secretan, Industry Week, October 12, 1998
Read the article!
Via Karin Sebelin